[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Goblins 3 running slowly.

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Goblins 3 running slowly.

Discussion about the all other Sierra games

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby hmfynn » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:13 pm

Hi, I've managed to get the "Sierra Originals" version of Goblins 3 running through Dosbox, only it runs very slowly. The readme says to fix any prblems by typing "set _cdseek_=Y" at the prompt. This fixes the speed issue but music no longer plays. I don't think it has much to do with system specs because I've got the same result on 3 different systems.

I'm running the latest Dosbox (6.5 I think)
I've tried fooling with the cycles, turning off ems and xms, switching core from normal to dynamic, etc, even mounting the cd as my hard drive but performance is always the same. Has anyone else gotten around this problem?

Guess it's not that bad since the game is still playable, albiet without music, just wondering what the issue might be.

Thanks.
hmfynn
Otto's Yo-Yo

Sponsor

Sponsor

A fix that worked for me

Postby hmfynn » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:47 am

Hi, while digging around on the web last night I located a fix that worked for me, on the Sierra Classics CD version at least.

I was running XP and VDMSound v. 2.0.4

-it's best to run the program with VDMSound using a Sapucdex driver instead of mscdexnt. To do this, download the driver (not sure if I can link here, but if you google Sapucdex or search it in the Vogons forum you'll find a zip file pretty quickly containing sapucdex.exe and sapucdex.dll) and extract them into your VDMSound directory.

-with these drivers installed, modify VDMSound's autoexec file in notepad (not sure how to do this in v.2.1.0 since that file appears to be hidden in that version, but I'm sure it's also doable with an extra step if you search). You need to change the line with mscdexnt.exe to reflect the location sapucdex.

-note, for some reason "program files" needs to be written as "Progra~1" for this to work, so new line would read:
lh C:\Progra~1\VDMSound\Sapucdex.exe

Now you should be able to have both Soundfx and ambient music at the same time. However, I haven't had much luck doing this with the "Quest" version, since it can't install in Dosbox for me (unknown error -7, which I'm told has to do with divide by zero or something or other). I installed the "Quest" version (1.00) by loading Windows 3.1 in Dosbox, then exited Dosbox and played it via VDMsound in XP. It did run, and fairly well, with both music and fx, but not as smoothly as the Classics version did using the same method.
hmfynn
Otto's Yo-Yo

Return to All Other Games