[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - why is this forum so dead? :{

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

why is this forum so dead? :{

Place to to discuss what's on your mind (not relating to Sierra)

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby predatorramboxxx » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:31 pm

predatorramboxxx
Keapon Laffin's Stock Boy

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MusicallyInspired » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:00 pm

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby scott3107 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:16 pm

scott3107
Nontoonyt Cannibalistic Native

Postby predatorramboxxx » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:48 pm

predatorramboxxx
Keapon Laffin's Stock Boy

Postby scott3107 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:12 pm

scott3107
Nontoonyt Cannibalistic Native

Postby Spike » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:31 am

Spike
Jesse Bains's Protege

Postby Larry53 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:16 am

Larry53
Dr. Nonookie's Insurance Agent

Postby Tseki » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:09 am

Tseki
Hurtz Rent a Bike Ad Exec

Postby Austin2359 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:20 pm

Austin2359
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Postby Johnathon » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:23 am

This place isn't completely dead.

...and that's worth.... something. :P
"Where there's a Wilco, there's a way!!!"
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby Spike » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:32 pm

I would disagree with both posts:

1. Austin- the games aren't dead yet. My website has a heck of a lot of interest in certain soundtracks still- if noone cared about the games, you'd think the soundtrack interest would be definitely zero.
And most of the interest is in games like Freddy Pharkas, Larry 6, Shivers, RAMA, not hugely popular games.

2. Johnathon: This site is very useful- if you have a serious collector-related question, chances are you'll still get a helpful response at this place, even with ~10 active members. I think that's credit to this forum.

The main problem is much the same as every Sierra site. The old members have all but left, and so there's very little off-topic discussion, the lifeblood of forums. Noone was talking about collecting much even when this place was busy, so you need other avenues of conversation, which you only get by big member bases and active communities.

But that said, I think this palce still has a function. Similar to my forums, which are quiet but are still vital for my website and still of use to me and new/active members.

So don't despair just yet :)

I also think Austin's comment is especially ironic given his signature- when was the last time you posted here, aside from the doomsaying one just now?

- Spike
Spike
Jesse Bains's Protege

Postby Johnathon » Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:10 am

Spike, I see where you're coming from.

Actually, to clarify, I meant what I said. I think the smilie I posted is what threw it off and gave it a bit of a twist. It was more along the lines of "well, hey, I'm the cup-half-full kinda guy, though sheepish that it may be against the norm for other posters" Not intended as the, "purely sarcastic mockery of feigning enthusiasm.

As far as Austin's post, I agree that it is true to a certain extent. World-wide, the games have lived their lives, and are dead in a way.

However, they'll always hold value in many respects, and I think feeling down as a fan in the dark (how many of us feel, including yourself I assume at times) is normal and quite common in the community. I personally concur that it's pointless apathy, and doesn't help the pain, but everytime I hear it or do it myself, I have empathy for whoever speaks it.

Intellectually, it would seem more noble and true to "do something about it rather than wallow in it"

Austin, it has been like forever since you've been here, man. I can't tell you how glad I am you're back. Give me a pm, will ya? :)
"Where there's a Wilco, there's a way!!!"
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby Austin2359 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:24 pm

I've come to the conclusion that these games were good in the context of the time they were made. But history can only move fowards, it can't move backwards. The gaming genre simply had to evolve. They are fun but they had their time.
Austin2359
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Postby MusicallyInspired » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:50 am

I just wish I was old enough at the time to truly appreciate them and get together with other hardcore Sierra fans. The 90s were indeed the best era for PC and console gaming alike, mainly because they had not yet been combined into one mass confusing bad-gaming industry.
"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Spong » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:26 am

I have to say Everythings has been said.
If we not carry out Adventure Games Through the New Millenium,Then the games must die
Spong
Graham's Feather

Next

Return to Non-Sierra Topics