[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Fixing Scratched CD's

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Fixing Scratched CD's

Place to to discuss what's on your mind (not relating to Sierra)

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Fixing Scratched CD's

Postby QuestCollector » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:29 pm

I was wondering a few of the methods you guys have used to fix a scratched cd. This thread may be able to help people out (me for example) I purchased a QFG collection off ebay and the cd was horrible, scratched everywhere. After a few hours of cleaning it slowly started to work. I used everything... rubbing alcohol, toothpaste, and even water. The cd looks real clean but there are two deep scratches if I can level out the cd it will be fine.

I was wondering what you guys do to fix a cd... hopefully you can help me out and give me another method.

Moderator Edit: I have made this topic sticky because of the very usefull information. :wink:
May the Farce Be With You!
QuestCollector
Noxious Spore Harvester

Fixing Scratched CD's

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby King Graham » Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:32 pm

Just an old Maxell CD cleaner kit that I purchased a few years back. It has a tray to place the CD on, a hand buffer, and some cleaning fluid. I rarely have scratches on my CDs, so I've only used it three times, but it did the job well enough. Though for all I know, there could be vastly superior methods.
King Graham
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Postby Robin » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:25 am

Please take a look at the latest rules, it is essential you follow them. !
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby QuestCollector » Fri Oct 15, 2004 2:18 pm

QuestCollector
Noxious Spore Harvester

Postby Robin » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:03 am

You fill in cracks? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well you cant fix CD like that, I mean when its damaged the information it self is damaged so I doubt that tooth paste. :shock:
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby King Graham » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:56 am

A CD is like a record. There are differently shaped grooves all over it. The laser reads the different-sized grooves, and translates it into information that the computer can understand.

According to Sony toothpaste does work:

"With scratches, it is not the actual data section of the disc that is damaged; it is the clear coating that protects the data section of the disc that has become damaged. Thus, the scratch is interfering with the path that the laser must travel through to get to the information. To fix this, you can repair the disc by either filling the scratch with an optical material, or polishing down the scratch to remove it. There are many commercial products designed to help you do this, but you can also use a polishing compound, or even toothpaste to get the trick done. Just make sure you do not create any new scratches while you remove the old ones by polishing in straight lines away from the center. Cracked or warped discs may damage a media playing/recording device. If a disc breaks inside of the unit, pieces are likely to strike the optics."

King Graham

Postby Robin » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:58 am

:o

I never knew.
Thanks.
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby King Graham » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:21 am

Neither did I. It came as quite the surprise!! Imagine using toothpaste to fix a CD. Very interesting. 8)
King Graham

Postby Blahdiedadie » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:58 am

So do you use a toothbrush to apply it? :D
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Blahdiedadie
Hurtz Rent a Bike Ad Exec

Postby Robin » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:49 pm

Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby QuestCollector » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:10 pm

QuestCollector
Noxious Spore Harvester

Postby Robin » Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:36 pm

Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby QuestCollector » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:25 pm

Another solution for fixing a CD is a brass cleaning component called "Brasso" Warning: Smell is a bit strong so fix cd in fresh air If you have any CD's not working I suggest using this instead of toothpaste (cleaner and easier)
QuestCollector
Noxious Spore Harvester

Postby Robin » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:10 pm

Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby Skywalker » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:11 pm

Skywalker
Roger's Broom Handle

Next

Return to Non-Sierra Topics