[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - To cut down on SPAM...

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

To cut down on SPAM...

Post your forum/site suggestions here

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

To cut down on SPAM...

Postby Johnathon » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:02 pm

Jus a suggestion, but I think if guest posts were disallowed, there would be much less spam here.

Some would say, this would irritate potential members and run them off, but my arguement is this. All the constant spam advertisements are probably running them off even faster.

Perhaps it's not a good idea, but just thought I'd mention it. This place is a mess of spam anymore.
"Where there's a Wilco, there's a way!!!"
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

To cut down on SPAM...

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:38 pm

Yeah. I'm even put off from this forum a little because of all the spam that is just not filtered out. If no one wants to mod this place properly then it's a good idea to disallow guest posters. There's nothing wrong with registering. I, for one, never guest post anywhere. If I think I can contribute something to a forum with only one post and that's it then I'll still register. I'm sure others feel the same way. Perhaps for a techincal issues forum you could keep guest posting allowed as people tend to want to get help quick but don't want to bother going through the process of actually joining a forum. But as for everything else, what's the point in posting and being a part of the community if you're not going to register? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Of course it could also be that I'm just sick to death of all the spam lol.
"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Austin2359 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:58 pm

It's not that much of a pain. I sort of just look around it. It wouldn't be worth the loss of cutting out guests in my opinion.

Maybe if they added a few moderaters it would help.
Austin2359
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Postby MusicallyInspired » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:40 pm

"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Johnathon » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:03 pm

Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby Xenon Explosion » Wed May 03, 2006 4:27 pm

But I've also come to notice that a lot of the spam IS from "registered" users with only 1 or 2 posts, that being their message.

It may be a pain, but the forums that last are the ones that have a member verification process to avoid such unpleasantness.

It's hard to "read around" it, too because sometimes it's a new post in an already existing thread that I've been following, and lo and behold it's a spambot.

I thought spam was illegal now? Or do they only arrest teenage girls that send out chain letters??

-Tom.
Xenon Explosion
Clerk at Black's Market

Postby Spong » Tue May 09, 2006 2:53 pm

Delete SpamBots Now Please?
If we not carry out Adventure Games Through the New Millenium,Then the games must die
Spong
Graham's Feather

Postby Robin » Thu May 11, 2006 3:19 am

I've informed Fester multiple times, nothing seems to be done so far.
Please take a look at the latest rules, it is essential you follow them. !
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby Maxor127 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:34 am

Maxor127
Vohaul's Campaign Manager

Postby Spike » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:51 pm

Spike
Jesse Bains's Protege

Postby Robin » Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:15 am

Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby Johnathon » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:58 am

Heck,

Forget about banning them all, they'll just keep coming, with slightly adjusted ip's.

I've mentioned this recently at the AGR Forum, but I've thought about it more and realized that a visual confirmation system would prove much more efficient. Most of the spam coming from bots, only humans would be able to register real accounts.

Also, this way you wouldn't need to deactivate guest postings. You'd just have to set up the visual confirmation to prompt everytime an unidentified guest attempted to post.

This way, no spam accounts, no spam posts, and guests can still make posts, and once it's set up, you wouldn't have to mess with it, so you wouldn't be banning new ip's 10 times a day.
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby Robin » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:40 pm

Nothing can be done because Fester is never around nor replies to messages.
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby Johnathon » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:40 am

Yes, understood.

But when/if he ever comes back with the time/incentive to fix up the place, I think this would be a good possibility to consider.
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby TheNexxuvas » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:22 am

City of Heroes Vault Webcoder
Leasure Suit Larry was the Biggest Pimp of the 8-bit 80's.
My DosBox Friendly Sierra Collection on Filefront for Download: http://hosted.filefront.com/AFlint/1637936
TheNexxuvas
Roger's Broom Handle

Next

Return to Suggestions?