[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Quest for Glory 1 VGA colors problem

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Quest for Glory 1 VGA colors problem

Discussion about the QFG Series

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby Maxor127 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:03 am

Anyone else ever notice this problem or know how to fix it? I was playing QFG1VGA and when nighttime came around, I opened up the stats window and could see random purple pixels. It looks fine during the day, but at night the stats screen has those purple pixels. I don't remember if it was always like that or not. I played the Mac version and don't remember that problem. I tried in DosBox and Windows 98 via Virtual PC and had the same results. And I tried different patch combinations. I'm playing QFG1VGA from the Quest for Glory Collection.
Maxor127
Vohaul's Campaign Manager

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:03 am

It's just the way the palette system works in QFG1. I guess Sierra overlooked it or chose to ignore it. All that's happening is certain colours are a part of the cycling palette function in SCI like the Sierra logo etc. The day/night transitions work the same way. It just cycles the colours in the palette to a darker and bluer colour. Consequently, some of the colours in the stat screen are part of this palette and get cycled as well. Nothing you can do about it.
"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Maxor127 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:45 am

Thanks, I don't remember that problem from the Mac version. Maybe it didn't have that problem. I have another problems I ran into.

My other problem is when I try to show the thief sign to Crusher by clicking the hand on him, the game will get stuck on the dragon cursor as if its loading something. Oddly enough, before I noticed the problem and was experimenting with a fighter with thief skills, the thief sign worked. But with any new character I make now, I get that bug.

So these problems led me to seek out some patches. I remembered the New Rising Sun patch. I installed that, but it didn't help. I tried some other patches, but they didn't help either. And then I noticed that there were a couple patches on different sites for New Rising Sun, but they had different files in them. What's up with that? I think I found three different patches, all with different files and all supposedly New Rising Sun patches for the same game. Applying any of them didn't seem to hurt the game, but they didn't fix my problems either. Anyone know what the deal with the patches is?

And that leads me to my final question. When I was installing the game to my computer for DosBox, I just dragged the QFG1NEW folder from the CD to my hard drive. That seemed to have the same affect as using the DOS installer on the CD. But if I use the Windows installer on the CD and install QFG1NEW from that, the game will install but have fewer files and when I load it, the first thing I notice is that the Sierra logo is kind of glitched and colored weird. Why do the DOS and Windows installers from the Quest for Glory Collection install the game differently and lead to different quality?

And what is the purpose of the PATCHES folder on the CD?
Maxor127

Postby MusicallyInspired » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:02 pm

I don't have the answers to most of your questions but when you patch a game with NRS's patches the save games you've been using are automatically void since the patches are script-based. Meaning if you apply a patch and restore a save game you made before the patch the game will play as if you never patched anything because the save games also save what the scripts were at the time the game was saved. So you'd have to start over. Did you start over?
"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Maxor127 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:07 pm

Yep, to test the Crusher bug, I'd restart the game, run straight to the bar and click the hand on him. It worked the first time I tried it with a character before I knew it could get bugged, but it hasn't worked since. I don't think I patched it at all until I started having that problem.
Maxor127

Return to Quest for Glory