[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Text Parser or Point & Click?

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Text Parser or Point & Click?

General Sierra Discussion

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

63%
26%
11%

Total votes : 19

Postby Eco » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:25 pm

That's true, but the path developers have taken is that parsers are obsolete and have no merits when compared to point-and-click. I guess fancy graphics sell better. :?
Eco
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby King Graham » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:42 am

Well at least there's one area where text has made a comeback. Text messaging on cellphones, because a century of audio suddenly got low-tech. (Nothing against text messaging, it's just funny when you think of it in that way.)
King Graham
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Postby KeronaAle » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:51 pm

I believe I learned how to type playing sierra games. Especially when you were rushed like when medusa is coming in Kings Quest III. :)
KeronaAle
Saurus Herder

Postby Johnny Westland » Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:29 pm

Ha ha. Great point because it's so true. I don't BELIEVE I learned to type from Sierra games, I KNOW I learned how to type from Sierra games. I remember when I took a typing class in high school - everyone was staring at their fingers and back to the first page, while I was flipping over page 10. Thanks again Sierra!
Johnny Westland
Nontoonyt Cannibalistic Native

Postby Blahdiedadie » Fri Mar 11, 2005 12:15 am

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Blahdiedadie
Hurtz Rent a Bike Ad Exec

Postby Maxor127 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:20 am

Maxor127
Vohaul's Campaign Manager

Postby Johnny Westland » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:05 am

Johnny Westland

Postby Robin » Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:28 am

When I have kids I'll keep them away from violent games like Quake and games that have no morals until they are much older, I want them to have the same wanderful experience I had. :D
Please take a look at the latest rules, it is essential you follow them. !
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby King Graham » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:09 am

If I ever have any, and I doubt I will, I'll try to do that. Plus I'll start them off on the oldies, before bringing them into the modern age. That way they appreciate things more, and don't whine about old-looking games so much.

That and it will give me some extra practice time, before they start fragging "daddy". :oops:
King Graham
Lytton's Mayoral Office Clerk

Postby Maxor127 » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:40 pm

Maxor127

Postby Robin » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:40 am

Please take a look at the latest rules, it is essential you follow them. !
Robin
Fifi's Feather Duster

Postby Maxor127 » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:46 pm

Maxor127

Postby Johnny Westland » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:12 pm

Johnny Westland

Postby Guest - Natalie » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:05 pm

:D Text parser everytime, without question, no contest! When I was a little girl, my first game was Kings Quest I. It taught me how to type - and type quickly, especially when there's something chasing you!! In KQ2 I had to type fast to ask what that car was coming out of the witch's cave on the beach! The point and click interface sucks all the life out of the game and stunts my own imagination and my ability to think how to word the same thing in a different way for a better result. It's very sad that everything that is being re-made at the moment has gone to point and click.

BRING BACK THE TEXT PARSER - DEATH TO THE POINT AND CLICK!!! Give me back my imagination and creativity!!!!!

Natalie
Guest - Natalie

Postby Susan » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:57 pm

:lol: I think I like point & click better, but I'm a lazy player...

What occured to me while reading this thread is that the big problem with point and click, whem compared to parser, is the lack of optipns. So wouldn;t it be cool if a point and lcik adventure game were to be made with action trees like in The Sims 1 & 2? You clik on object, ANY object, and you come up with a bunch of options, like "talk to" "pick up" "kick" "lick" "ask about..." etc, and then sometimes when you cllick a certain option, it opens up even more? Hehehe. That would be the epitome of point and click...

I've never playd Leisure Suit Larry 7... I should anc check out this parser/point and click combo. Hmmm.
Susan
Otto's Yo-Yo

PreviousNext

Return to Sierra Topics