[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - "The Outer Edge of Earnon..."

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

"The Outer Edge of Earnon..."

Discussion about the Space Quest Series

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby Johnathon » Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:05 pm

This is an improvement of the first screen I ever showed for the project. It took me about a week (couple hours a day) to fix it up some. This helps give an idea of he quality of the games sci art. There will also be a genuine wide-screen feel. The resolution is much larger than your typical sci game. (Obviously, I'm going to be using a different engine to pull this off.)

Anyhow, I just wanted to show you all something, in return for the long disappearance. I have other screens I've been working on, but I'd like to keep most of them private til the game's release.

And, of course, this one, although nearly done, is still missing a few little things, mainly being texturing and detail, to make it all look uniform, and a little less bland. I've spent my last efforts for this screen focusing mainly on the head and hair. This is just one head position. During the introduction, there will be many more sprites for it, as well as the lighting and screens, etc.

Well, I hope you like it.

For the record, I am currently calling my project the "Outer Edge of Earnon." I may change it's title upon release. I'm also simultaneously working on another adventure game. Unlike the fangame, it's a stand-alone work. An allegorical fantasy. I've found that having two unique projects to work on helps to produce more without feeling like you need as many breaks. (Wish I'd found that out 3 years ago. :P ) Ah well.

Johnathon
Last edited by Johnathon on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Where there's a Wilco, there's a way!!!"
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby twoz1976 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:25 pm

twoz1976
Roger's Broom Handle

Postby Tseki » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:49 am

Tseki
Hurtz Rent a Bike Ad Exec

Postby Johnathon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:06 pm

Thank you both. Your compliments mean alot.

I am pleased to be able to show you one of the more recent screenshots I've been working on. This one, in particular, is of a "closeup window" which obviously goes along with the screenshot first posted in this topic.

It helps to demonstrate in great detail and quality, the goals this project has set for mastering the sq3/sq6 mixed art style. As usual, I imagine I'll continue improving every single screenshot of the project, from first to last, until the game is completely programmed. Everything can always be improved, but once it's good enough to carry the concept and atmosphere, or "point", I usually move on to a new screenshot, before coming back to edit a prior one.

Please feel free to add whatever you tihnk of this.

There is also now a team together for the "Outer Edge," and it consists of the following:

Mad_C33 - Co-Writer, Ideas, Puzzles, Dialogue, Etc. (He is also willing to assist in other aspects like programming and music in the game's future.)

Vroomfondel - Co-Writer, Ideas, Puzzles, Etc.

QuestCollector - Intends to assist as an Artist and with Ideas, Etc.

and Myself (obviously) - Lead Writer/Original Script, Lead Artist, Project Editor, Ideas, Puzzles, Etc.

Since the team has slowly begun to take shape, great advances have been made with Outer Edge's development, though it could still be quicker. Nonetheless, it's the greatest boost it's had since it was begun 3 years ago, and I hope things will only get better.

I've seemed to finally get a real genuine feel for doing the sci artwork. Within the past couple months, great progress has been made on coverting the original script into a more comprehensive screenplay to go by, and Sam (Mad_C33) has made some great and ingenius contributions to the plots main theme and subjects. The story is already pretty inuque as well as SQ-ish, and I feel that with our combined effort, we'll be able to make this a solid addition to the series. Vroomfondel has contributed some great humorous references and ideas. Quest (Jeff) has also been very supportive.

As it stands now, the team is still sort of waiting on me to finish the script-to-screenplay conversion, so they can forge ahead with they're ideas/editing/additions, etc. I've been sort of jumping back and forth between working on screenshots and improving the screenplay.

Because the screenplay is meant to give one the fullest sense of the completed game as possible (before it's being made), it takes a bit longer to prepare than the script did. It's not simply a jotting down of ideas. It contains dialogue, puzzles, rooms, inventory items, and possibly information on camera angles and music, to give the basic shell of and idea, so the team can see more easily the original idea, and thus help me bring it to life.

Whenever there's a bit of an issue with concentration or motivation, sometimes I jump back to my other working project. I'm trying to make sure that when I rotate, I spend at least a month at a time on each one. but when I'm on a roll, I stick with whatever one I'm currently with.

Well, anyways, I figure this is a good time to post this, since this place is just starting to seem to get a bit more lively than usual. As always, it's a pleasure being part of this community. I'll continue to keep you updated.

Sincerely,

Johnathon
Last edited by Johnathon on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby Johnathon » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:23 am

NEW UPDATE:

Well, since my last project update, I've been quite a busy man. I went on a trip to CT, and since those past couple weeks after my return, work has been quite demanding. As a rookie lead carpenter, the roof system on the home I'm working on (a combination roof, not your basic standard single hip peak) is prooving to be quite a challenge. In the midst of studying blueprints and formulas, estimating materials and proposing solutions to current problems (problems due to internet-based blueprints that had been poorly written) I haven't forgotten the Outer Edge, and have been trying to find time to escape to it here and there. :P

Anyways, I've finished Day 1 of the screenplay, and will be done with Day2 very shortly. The guys have been somehwat quite at my place, I assume waiting for more material to work on. I've been trying to keep them satisfied, as well as produce something visual to the community often enough.

Well, now that I've mentioned it, here's the visual:

Nah, it hasn't taken me two weeks (since my last update) to do just that. Being a trace, it was quite simple. It took me about 3 hours total, as I'd only begun it practically last night. I was going through a bored mood, and didn't feel like writing the screenplay, so I figured I should pick something easy, to help boost my motivation, and show the community something new.

Being traditional to the classic SQ1: The Sarien Encounter (and NOT the vga remake) Roger is assigned his grey/white rank Janitorial jumpsuit,(Col. Bodge will get the Grey/Purple one instead, which Roger will not acquire obviously until SQ2, when he is promoted to head janitor) as you notice.

And, just as a note, these trace conversions are actually easy to mess up. I won't explain. But the first one I did (which took the first hour) was no good. I hadn't analyzed the impressionism of the lighting/shading correctly, and I got the color gradiations off by one level the whole way. Enough babble now.

You may notice a discrepency in style between the prior facial art I've posted, in both appearance and concept. Allow me to explain away part of it. Roger, although looking more like superman, in the last picture, only does because he is dreaming (the mental projection of his digital self, thank you Morpheus), whereas when bright awake and in the real world, he's quite lanky and funny looking (true to the series, ain't it?) I chose this particular set of facials (from the sq6 funeral sequence) to serve as Roger's closeup for the game, not only because it's precisely the style I'm shooting for (sq3/sq6, sci-cartoonish), but because I believe it depicts Roger at the age of his younger days back on Xenon quite well.

As for the differences in art style, not all these visuals are completely "touched up" yet, and by the time the game is being programmed, they will all be made more consistent, so they don't look like a bunch of fan clip art compiled into a game.

Anyways, we're still kicking. Slowly, but surely.
Last edited by Johnathon on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby Johnathon » Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:00 pm

I'm sorry about this double post. I just couldn't imagine cramming another edit into that same one.

This image was lost with the cancelled website and after a pc move. If you have a copy of this screen, please contact me.

Nearly two months now since my last update. About half of it was a hault in progress, but we managed to get ourselves back together. It comes and goes in phases, and it's all part of the journey.

I dug this pic up to show, cause I've assume everyone will have come to expect a new one with each update by now. It's quite far from being finished, because it will contain much interactive detail. Can you guess what it's supposed to be?

Rather than this one, I've actually found myself more interested with the recent capture of Xenon's Capitol City Grounds. It's practically just started, but I aim to have it showable by next update.

To the real stuff now, while I usually had been hooked on the graphic aspects of the game's production, lately there's been a great recent rhythm on screenplay writing. I've been feeling more enthusiastic about the scope of the story and what the finished game will contain, than I have with any of the art, and for the past 3 weeks, I've basically been hooked on that.

The rest of the team has been very enthusiastic as well. We now have twice as much screenplay done as we had before (we're now into day 3, which is the last day on Xenon, and concludes the game's "Beginning Section"), and when 3 other SQ enthusiasts like yourself, feel just as good about the material, it really helps you to realize what you've got is good stuff. The story itself is quite depthful, yet easy to follow. It's aim is to be as depthful in plot and character development/interaction as SQ5 was, which I believe took the trophy before all others in the series in that subject.

Mad_C33 has been dishing out dialogue and descriptions like a professional Sierra employee. Full of wit and humor. Vroomfondel and Questcollector have helped as well in quality assurance areas and in giving opinions and ideas. The whole team has helped in editing and improving upon the script as I have been posting it for them. We established a designated team chat for Saturdays. We all do our best to get together and contribute whatever we can.

As we come to close on the game's beginning section, a slight tone in mood change will be made. It will not be as streamlined, as it will open up on the Arcada, being such a large ship. Things will become more serious, Several secondary and important characters will be introduced, and Roger will have to work with them together to make his way through the middle section of the game. As I said, emphasis on how much character interaction there was in SQ5.

Though, as the End game section begins to take the scene, things will get lonely once again. Roger will find himself alone. The entire scope of the game is already well established and thought out; it's simply not in the improved screenplay form yet, and hasn't passed the critique of our team experts. It's only a matter of time, a matter of fleshing out and mending everything to flow together in harmony. As a whole, despite it's being a prequel, it's a completely unique and standalone adventure on it's own.

A little insight on the game's ellements. We've been discussing the interface, menu, and replayability. We have some very unique and I'm predicting very effective new ellements which will be introduced into the adventure genre. Still true to it's classic gameplay standards, yet more alive and immediate.

It's a way explainable but something I'd rather be kept secret and experienced when it comes, for the best enjoyment. Not only is gameplay going to be more unique for the adventure genre, but the game itself will be much longer than the average classic. Not the kind that drags out and puts the player to sleep, but the kind that flows like a masterpiece, mixing and matching the best ellements called for, be it politics, arcade, puzzles, streamlining, or broadening, to capture the effect needed called for by the running plot. With a bit of luck, and continued effort, and so long as we do not loose our "game-players'" side to us, and dont' rush things, we'll have a game that will play at least 1 hour and 1/2, hopefully 2, AFTER the player already knows how to beat it, and it'll run so much like a movie, that it won't wear out, if it's a good one.

Just a bit of the pie for now. Probably not the best way I could've explained things, but if I struck your curiosity, I guess I suceeded in my intent. We will continue to make Outer Edge the best thing to us, regardless of what hurtles, or how long it takes. So long as we don't sacrifice why it was begun, every year will have been well worth it. We'll keep you updated.
Last edited by Johnathon on Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby Spong » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:30 pm

that awsome john :)
If we not carry out Adventure Games Through the New Millenium,Then the games must die
Spong
Graham's Feather

Postby Johnathon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:07 pm

Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby twoz1976 » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:30 pm

Yeah, really impressive! Great job!
twoz1976
Roger's Broom Handle

Postby MusicallyInspired » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:40 pm

What engine are you using, btw?
"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Johnathon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:24 pm

Lol,

We don't know yet. We're considering using AGS, but that may veyr likely change, depending upon the power and customizability, as the game will be making some quite bold leaps.
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby MusicallyInspired » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:25 pm

From what I hear AGS is capable of quite a lot. Rich Eter, creator of the FQ series and sprite artist for Infamous Adventures, has created a script for AGS that will allow a parser interface and a p&c interface simultaneously which it looks like you're looking for in your game. I'm sure it could be modified to suit your GUI there. I rather like the idea of using both and you've set it up well in the standard SQ6 interface there.
"Booyah! Look out, LeChuck! Here comes Guybrush Threepwood's glowing sword of hot monkey vengeance!"
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Johnathon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:51 am

Yes, the merged interfaces is one thing.

What about instant-time arcading? Like, not really slow-scripted arcading, tied to just an interface icon (like hands or walk). I mean like, you know...
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby MusicallyInspired » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:40 am

....yeah......

...I have no idea what you're talking about.
-Guybrush Threepwood,
MusicallyInspired
Graham's Feather

Postby Johnathon » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:05 pm

I'm not a programmer, I guess I didn't do a good job explaining my goals there.

What I'm trying to say is, AGS, having been designed mainly geared towards the development of "Adventure Gaming," may not possess the qualities needed to script "competitive" arcade sequences comparable to those found in pure arcade games. Thus, in essence, would instead play out like the skimmer sequence in SQ1VGA and the loogie-dodging sequence in SQ5, or even the scrubomatic sequence.

Or am I wrong? I guess I just thought perhaps you could tell me.

But regardless, AGS is certainly a reasonable possibility to look into, and Sam and I have already been discussing possibly using it.
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Next

Return to Space Quest