[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4586: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4588: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4589: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4590: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3765)
vintage-sierra.net • View topic - Why I have never been deeply interested in these games

Welcome | Games | Sierra | Wanted | Links

Why I have never been deeply interested in these games

Discussion about the Police Quest Series

Moderators: FesterBlatz, Robin

Postby Maxor127 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:41 pm

For me personally, when I play old Sierra games that I didn't get a chance to play way back when, they just don't evoke the same feelings as opposed to if I played them back then. I liked PQ2, but not as much as PQ1. If I remember right, it's pretty short, and I was expecting actual driving, but it was different and I liked it overall. It was still in the spirit of the original until they ruined it with the VGA games. I'm sure PQ2 had its own procedures related to detective work. I can't remember which has more. I liked doing the procedures in the first game. I felt like a real cop, and you didn't always have to follow procedure except in those life and death situations.
Maxor127
Vohaul's Campaign Manager

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby TheNexxuvas » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:47 pm

I have a very soft spot for the PQ series. My dad and I bought PQ1 long, long ago when if first came out. He narrated the game for me as we played our way through the first parts. After a few months he left me alone to continue on the game, He narrated up to the Coffee house "Cafeine Carols" and I played the rest. I enjoyed the Procedureal parts as well, and even followed Jim to his Blue Ice game (another police game by him).

I'll never forget playing as sonny bonds, and now that I am in my 30's and my son is 4, we'll be playing these together, much like my dad did when I was 10 or so when they came out.
City of Heroes Vault Webcoder
Leasure Suit Larry was the Biggest Pimp of the 8-bit 80's.
My DosBox Friendly Sierra Collection on Filefront for Download: http://hosted.filefront.com/AFlint/1637936
TheNexxuvas
Roger's Broom Handle

Postby Nexxuvas » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:55 pm

Er Blue Force, not Blue Ice.
Nexxuvas

Postby Xenon Explosion » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:06 am

Hmmm. I never really got into PQ either. I played PQ1 all the way through (although when I was bored, I'd just drive around the city with my lights on seeing if I could get cars to pull over, hehe) but I never finished PQ2. I started on PQ3, but never really got into that one. I think this is one of those instances where the icon interface made it so that the game did too much for you. You could basically "hunt and peck" your way through the procedures.

Slightly off-topic, I noticed in this thread and a lot of other ones that many of the "hard core" fans haven't completed quite a few Sierra games. I'm kinda in the same boat, although I count the ones that my brother and I worked on together as "finishing" them. (although, he got out of school an hour earlier than me back then and would already be further along when I got home) But this is probably a topic for another thread. :)

-Tom.
Xenon Explosion
Clerk at Black's Market

Postby Maxor127 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:43 am

Maxor127
Vohaul's Campaign Manager

wilco.vroomfondel@gmail.com

Postby Vroom » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:01 pm

LOL! I have to say that I liked the games (although I'm stuck in 3 and haven't played 4). Never played 1 VGA, and I don't think I will either. The only problem I have with the series (aside from the pentagram in 3!) is that in 1 EGA, the messages while off-duty take forever to load.

-Vroom
Vroom

Postby Spike » Sat May 06, 2006 1:51 am

Spike
Jesse Bains's Protege

Postby Johnathon » Sat May 06, 2006 5:44 am

"Where there's a Wilco, there's a way!!!"
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Postby Spike » Tue May 09, 2006 12:15 am

Yeah, I actually agree with you for once, Johnathon. I loathed PQ2's procedures insofar they were impossible to work out.

yet, I loved the game overall!

- Spike
Spike
Jesse Bains's Protege

Postby Johnathon » Tue May 09, 2006 2:32 am

Glad to see we can agree on something, Spike, though I'd feel better if we could agree upon at least one personal matter.

But what can I say.
"Where there's a Wilco, there's a way!!!"
Johnathon
Rakeesh's Court Jester

Previous

Return to Police Quest